Spicy Asian Green Beans with Pan-Fried Noodles
- 3/4 t ground coriander
- 1/8 t ground white pepper
- 1 t brown sugar
- 1 T fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 16 ounces frozen pre-cooked egg noodles
- 2 tablespoons Peanut Oil
- 1 pound fresh green beans, trimmed and cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 pound boneless chicken, cut in small cubes
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Toast sesame seeds in a heavy skillet over medium-low heat, or on the tray of a toaster oven set to 350 degrees, or in the oven at 350 degrees. If cooking on the stove, stir constantly until they begin to turn golden; if cooking in the oven, stir occasionally until they are golden. The process goes faster on top of the stove, but the sesame seeds burn easily, so watch them carefully.
- Bring a large pot of water to boil with 2 teaspoons salt. Add egg noodles and cook according to package directions until barely tender. set aside.
- Heat peanut oil in a wide skillet or wok set over high heat. Add green beans and cook on high heat for about 3 minutes. They will brown in some places and become somewhat wrinkled. set aside.
- Reduce heat to low, add chicken, garlic and red pepper and cook another 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. add green beans.
- Crisping the noodles in a skillet adds a lot of interest and flavor to the dish. Add a couple of tablespoons of peanut oil to a NON-STICK skillet and heat over medium-high flame.
- Add the cooked noodles and let them brown. They’ll brown unevenly — that’s OK. The range in the textures from a well-browned crispy noodle to those that don’t brown is what makes the dish interesting.
- Once the noodles have browned, flip them to brown on the other side — this side won’t brown as well because most of the oil is gone from the skillet. The process takes about 5 minutes.
- Combine soy sauce, vinegar, cornstarch and sugar and stir to distribute cornstarch and dissolve sugar.
- When noodles are done, drain them, put them on a platter and top with green beans. Drizzle sauce over all and sprinkle with sesame seeds. If you have Asian sesame oil — the dark kind that smells richly of toasted sesame seeds — sprinkle a teaspoon or 2 over the final dish.